So, he popped the question and you said yes! Now what? Before diving right into wedding planning, consider these 10 bride-to-be worthy tips.
1. Call friends & family- I know it can be very tempting to post a selfie of yourself wearing your shiny new rock right away, but before doing that, don't forget to call your closest friends & family. Hearing the excitement in your voice is a lot more personal than just a text message or FB status. Those closest to you want to share in the excitement and seeing it on FB for the first time along with hundreds of other Facebook users could make them feel left out.
2. Change your relationship status on FB- So you've called all of your VIP's and posted a selfie with your fiancé. Now, don't forget to change your relationship status to "engaged" on Facebook and watch the likes roll in.
3. Get your ring insured and sized- I know it will be hard to part ways with your new bling (that you've waited for your entire life) so soon, but the sooner you take your ring to get insured and sized, the sooner you will get it back! (and avoid any unwanted mishaps!)
4. Get a fresh mani- Go out and treat yourself to a fresh manicure! There is going to be a lot of attention on your hands right now, as everyone will be asking to see your ring. Keep those nails looking fresh, girl!
5. Get used to saying the word "fiancé"- It's a big change to go from saying, "This is my boyfriend...." to "This is my FIANCE....". I'm pretty sure my fiancé and I called each other "fiancé" (and every variation in between) instead of our first names about 3948398423 times in the week after we got engaged. That word still hasn't gotten old to me. :)
6. Get organized- Start a Pinterest board (if you haven't already) to organize all of your ideas for your dream wedding. Another great way to stay organized is to get a wedding planning book. It's a great way to organize your ideas, budget and vendors. I recommend "The Knot's Ultimate Wedding Planner & Organizer". I picked mine up at Barnes & Noble for only $20 and it has been my saving grace while planning my wedding.
7. Get engagement photos done- Getting professional photos done is a great way to kick off your engagement and officially announce the great news. I love doing engagement sessions because it gives me the opportunity to get to know my couples better and help them to feel comfortable in front of the camera before their wedding day. I also custom design "Save the Dates" to match every couple's theme. Check out my wedding and engagement portfolio to see some of my favorites from past engagement shoots.
8. Create a wedding website- Theknot.com is a great resource for creating a free custom wedding website for you and your fiancé. It's a great way to share your engagement photos, write fun stories like "How we met" & "How we got engaged" and share details about your wedding. It's great to start this right away so that you can slowly start to add more details to it as things start to come along. Share a link to your website on your "Save the Dates" to keep wedding guests up to date with all the details about your big day!
9. Celebrate!- Whether you throw an engagement party or go out for drinks with friends & family, don't forget to celebrate your new engagement because it is a BIG deal and a HUGE step in life! Cheers!
10. Enjoy your fiancé- At the end of the day, it's not about what flowers you had or what your cake tasted like. It's about you and your fiancé and the love you share. Some people get caught up in wedding planning right away and tend to forget this. So between dress fittings and cake tastings, don't forget to take some time off from wedding planning every once in awhile to have a date night and remember why you fell in love with your fiancé. Because in the end, its only the love that matters!
#10thingstodoafteryougetengaged #engaged #fiance #engagementring #engagementparty #uticany #CentralNewYork